Garmin Approach S20 Smartwatch Review
Tuesday - 02 April 2019
Garmin have scored a hole in one with their new range of Garmin Approach S20 smartwatches, bringing alive the ultimate caddy for the wrist. There are so many smartwatch brands out there at the moment that it can be difficult to know which one to choose when looking for a golf green companion. Thankfully, Garmin have released the only golfing smartwatch you will ever need and it retails at only £199!
Filled to the brim with exceptional golfing features, the Garmin Approach S20 smartwatch comes with over 40,000 preloaded courses, a fantastic AutoShot feature and an impressive battery life of 15 hours when in GPS mode. The design of the Approach S20 is also seriously sleek with a high resolution display, sporty rubber strap and lightweight case that comes in four colours: white, black, slate and teal.
Now let’s go into some of the features of the Garmin Approach S20 smartwatch in detail. Firstly, the AutoShot feature is a must have for golfers. The automatic shot detection and recording allows you to track your shots along the fairway and provides you with detailed game analysis on the Garmin Connect App. Meanwhile the handy Green View feature gives you an exact picture of the green you are playing on and lets you manually reposition the pin for accurate distances to the hole. With it being a GPS golf smartwatch, it provides you with exact course location and how far you are from the next green so you can swing with confidence.
The long-life lithium iron battery of the Garmin Approach S20 smartwatch is another huge bonus for those of you who like to enjoy long days on the green. In full GPS mode, the watch will last up to 15 whole hours before it needs charging again and for daily use in activity tracking mode, the battery can go for up to 8 weeks between recharges. The golfing smartwatch will charge to full in a matter of hours and it’s handy USB charging wire clips securely to the back of the device for ease.
No matter whether you enjoy golfing with friends or on your own, the Garmin Connect feature on the Approach S20 smartwatch automatically links to a whole online golfing community and gives you great post-round analysis. You can download your latest round and compare it to previous ones so you are always aware of your improvements. For those who like a bit of competiton, the Garmin Connect feature also allows you to compete and compare scores with your friends.
It is also possible to connect the Garmin Approach S20 with Garmin's TruSwing Sensor. This fantastic device works as a virtual coach and assesses each of your swings, measures your tempo, speed and critical angles. It can then provide you with a detailed analysis on how to improve. You also don’t need to have a smartphone or tablet for these to connect.
Last but not least, the Garmin Approach S20 smartwatch continues to keep you up to date with the outside world while you are distracted on the green. The smart notifications can be set to vibrate on the wrist so you are aware of any texts, emails or calls while your phone is tucked away in your bag. And of course, this Garmin golf smartwatch also works as an everyday watch too with clear time and date display and a water resistant case up to 50 metres.
For more information on the Garmin Approach S20 smartwatch collection and where to order your own, click here.
- Case Size: 37.4mm x 47.6mm
- Case Colour: Available in white, black, teal and slate
- Lens: Chemically strengthened glass, sunlight-readable, high resolution
- Strap: Rubber
- Water Resistance: 50 metres
- Memory: 64MB
- Clock Features: Time, Date, Odometer, Alarm Clock, GPS time sync, Automatic daylight-saving time, Sunrise/sunset times
- Sensors: GPS, Accelerometer
- Daily Smart Features: Bluetooth and ANT+ connectivity, Smart notifications, iPhone and Android compatible, Garmin Connect Mobile compatible
- Activity Tracking Features: Step counter, Move bar, Auto goal, Sleep monitoring, Calories burned, Distance travelled, TrueUp
- Golfing Features: Preloaded with 41,000 courses worldwide, Yardage to F/M/B, Yardage to layups/doglegs, Measures shot distance, Digital scorecard, Stat tracking, Garmin AutoShot, Auto CourseView updates, Green View with manual pin position, Hazards and course targets, TruSwing compatible, Round timer/odometer, Automatic club tracking compatible.